Proper education can drive retirement plan participation
Employers who offer retirement savings plans are already helping their workforces. But not all employees take advantage of these plans. And many who do still don’t contribute enough to retire comfortably. As a business owner, you can help your employees even more — and drive plan participation — by providing proper education on retirement planning.
Here are five ways to go:
- Teach them about the general concepts of investing.Many employees are unfamiliar with basic economic and investing concepts. Offer instruction on concepts such as:
- Compounding growth,
- Tax implications of different types of savings plans, and
- How much they need to save to reach a certain sum at retirement.
Providing such information can help your employees make informed decisions about their options.
- Explain how the plan functions.For instance, do they need to enroll in the plan, or are they automatically enrolled? Once enrolled, how do they decide how much to contribute and how to allocate their money among different investments?
- Provide information in various formats.Webinars or other online communication methods will resonate with some employees, while others will prefer printed material. By offering a mix of options, you’ll likely be effective in reaching different segments of your workforce.
- Arrange face-to-face sessions.Even if your business offers printed and electronic materials, in-person sessions can go a long way in helping employees understand the plan. These sessions also provide an opportunity to reinforce the value of a retirement plan as part of the employee’s overall compensation package. If one-on-one sessions are impractical, consider small groups.
- Offer information regularly. Providing consistent education is a great way to remind employees of the value of their retirement savings plans.
Remember, employees aren’t the only ones who benefit from proper retirement savings education. As participation increases, plan fees may diminish. And the more non–highly compensated employees sock away in a plan, the more its highly compensated employees can contribute. Please contact our firm for more ways to maximize the strategic value of your retirement plan.